Salary increases
Will you as new council members take a raise in salary from what the current council is currently making?
Candidate Answers (4)
Future council salaries are set by the current administration.
I would donate any increase from 2026-2027 and beyond to the GB General Hospital and challenge all Council Members to do the same!
Hello, Thank you for raising such an important and timely question about council remuneration. In case you missed the recent council meeting, the current council—with the sole exception of Councillor Dave Brunelle, who voted against it—voted in favour of a compensation increase. That approved adjustment included a hike of over 15% for the Mayor, over 5% for the Deputy Mayor, and 1% for Councillors. If I am elected as your Deputy Mayor, my position is unequivocal: Council Wage Freeze: I will introduce a motion—or wholeheartedly support any council colleague who brings one forward first—to immediately freeze council wage increases for the upcoming year. Defer Salary Reviews to 2028: We should not even revisit or review council remuneration until at least 2028. With our township facing serious infrastructure needs, rising debt projections, and household budgets already stretched thin, council should never be adding to the taxpayer's burden to boost its own pay. Realistic, Grounded Public Service: I know another candidate mentioned they would donate their salary. While that may be an option for individuals of independent personal wealth, it is not my financial reality. Like many residents in Tiny, I have everyday household expenses, a mortgage, and rising vehicle and fuel costs. Serving our community effectively takes immense dedication, long hours, and extensive travel across our large rural township, and regular working people must be able to afford to serve in local government. Elected office is about stewardship and public service, not expanding political paycheques while asking residents to tighten their belts. Thank you again for asking for accountability on this issue. Kind regards, Karen Zulynik Candidate for Deputy Mayor, Tiny Township
I am not running for Mayor for the money and in fact will no doubt be increasing my contributions to the CRA and local charities. The 2027 council compensation by-law passed by the current council can be amended by the new council and I would support maintaining it at the 2026 levels.
