Back to Questions
EnvironmentSeptember 4, 2026

Electoral platform and flooding solutions for Farlain Lake

As a resident and voter in our municipality, I am closely following the candidates' platforms, particularly regarding local infrastructure and environmental stewardship. I am writing to you today to voice a critical concern regarding Farlain Lake. As you may know, the lake has faced historic, recurring high-water levels that continue to threaten our community. This persistent flooding is causing severe shoreline erosion, damaging private property, and compromising local septic systems and water wells, which poses an immediate environmental and public health risk. Because Farlain Lake is a unique seepage kettle lake with no natural surface discharge, managing its water levels requires specialized engineering and proactive municipal leadership. Many residents feel the current administrative processes have left the community at a standstill regarding actionable solutions and cost-sharing frameworks. If elected as mayor, deputy mayor, Councillor what specific steps will your administration take to address the flooding and long-term water management at Farlain Lake? Specifically, I would appreciate your insights on: Municipal Support: Will you support funding for comprehensive hydrogeological and engineering studies to find a permanent drainage solution? Inter-Governmental Collaboration: How do you plan to work with provincial environmental ministries or conservation authorities to bypass bureaucratic gridlocks?Immediate Relief: What short-term mitigation strategies (such as permitted water-taking or emergency resources) will you make available to affected shoreline property owners?Our community is looking for a leader who will prioritize infrastructure resilience and advocate actively for the safety and investments of local homeowners. Thank you for your time, your dedication to our municipality, and your response. I look forward to reading your thoughts on this matter. Regards K. Gallagher

Asked by pakasamaha

Candidate Answers (3)

karenzulynik
Candidate
Sep 5, 2026

Dear K. Gallagher, ​Thank you for reaching out on this critical issue. The recurring high-water levels at Farlain Lake are an urgent municipal priority, not just for shoreline residents, but for the overall environmental and public health of our entire township. ​I share your serious concern. I have personally been out on Farlain Lake on my paddleboard to inspect the shoreline firsthand, and it is evident that water levels today are even higher than they were in the spring of 2025. The ongoing threats to private property, compromised septic systems, drinking water wells, and the delicate local ecosystem demand decisive leadership rather than continued administrative standstill. ​Here is how I plan to address Farlain Lake’s water management: ​Inter-Governmental Advocacy and Funding: Securing a long-term engineering and drainage solution will require significant financial investment and provincial cooperation. I have already submitted a Freedom of Information request to review the Township’s recent submissions to the Ministry of Natural Resources (MNRF) at the AMO conference to determine why previous relief efforts were turned down. In past years, these discussions were held behind closed doors without transparency to the public—an approach I strongly oppose. If elected, securing a direct meeting with the Minister of Natural Resources will be an immediate priority to pursue provincial grant funding and cut through regulatory gridlock. ​Provincial Engagement and Transparency: I want to bring the decision-makers directly to our community. I will champion hosting a local town hall inviting the Minister or senior ministry staff to hear directly from affected residents. The meticulous documentation, photographs, and personal records gathered by the Farlain Lake community are invaluable assets. That comprehensive dossier must be placed directly on the Minister’s desk to demonstrate the real-world impact. ​Environmental Stewardship: A viable drainage strategy must account for downstream impacts, including the ecological sensitivities of neighboring Awenda Provincial Park. Proactive collaboration with park authorities is essential to resolve concerns regarding invasive species and potential run-off contamination, ensuring any engineered outflow meets environmental compliance standards without stalling progress. ​Protecting Homeowners from Financial Risk: I do not support using the Drainage Act process for Farlain Lake. Under that framework, residents who sign a petition are placed under strict statutory deadlines and risk being left on the hook for open-ended study and construction costs—essentially signing a blank cheque. Municipal tax dollars and provincial infrastructure grants must support this critical public work, rather than shifting the financial burden onto affected homeowners. ​I am fully committed to working alongside community members and colleagues like Dave Brunelle, who brings deep insight and dedication to this file, to deliver real, sustainable solutions. ​Thank you again for your engagement and for advocating for Farlain Lake. ​Warm regards, ​Karen Zulynik Candidate Deputy Mayor for Township of Tiny Council

Stephen McNamara
Candidate
Sep 9, 2026

Thank you for raising the issue of high water levels and flooding at Farlain Lake. I share your concern that this is not simply a seasonal nuisance; it is a serious infrastructure, environmental, and public health matter affecting shoreline erosion, private property, septic systems, wells, road infrastructure, and the long-term resilience of the lake community. If elected to Council, I would support a more proactive, transparent, and technically grounded approach to Farlain Lake water management. Because Farlain Lake is a seepage kettle lake with no natural surface outlet, any lasting solution must be based on sound hydrogeological and engineering evidence, not assumptions or short-term political reactions. 1. Municipal support for studies and long-term solutions I would support Council funding, or cost-sharing where appropriate, for a comprehensive hydrogeological study and engineering review to determine the causes, flow paths, risks, and feasible options for long-term water-level management. Previous public reporting has identified the need for this type of work, including investigation of groundwater movement and potential discharge pathways. Before taxpayers or affected residents are asked to support any major project, Council needs credible technical information, clear cost estimates, environmental approvals, and a fair discussion of who benefits and who pays. 2. Inter-governmental collaboration and approvals I would advocate for the Township to take a stronger coordinating role with the Province of Ontario, the Ministry of the Environment, Conservation and Parks, the Severn Sound Environmental Association, conservation and watershed partners, and any other agencies required for permitting or technical review. My approach would be to establish a defined working group, set timelines for responses, identify exactly which approvals are required, and report progress publicly so residents are not left wondering where the matter stands. 3. Immediate relief and risk reduction While the long-term work is underway, I would support practical short-term measures that are lawful, environmentally responsible, and available to property owners as quickly as possible. These could include staff assistance with emergency permitting information, coordinated guidance on shoreline protection and erosion control, evaluation of temporary water-taking options where legally and environmentally permissible, and clearer communication about available provincial or municipal resources for affected residents. 4. Transparency, accountability, and fair cost-sharing I would push for regular public updates, a clear decision-making schedule, and a cost-sharing framework that is understandable and fair. That discussion should include affected property owners, the broader taxpayer base, and any provincial or external funding opportunities. Residents deserve to know what options are technically possible, what they will cost, what approvals are needed, and what risks come with action or inaction. In short, if elected, I would not support allowing this issue to remain stalled indefinitely. I would advocate for the technical studies needed to identify a responsible long-term solution, stronger engagement with provincial and environmental authorities, and immediate support for residents dealing with flooding impacts now. Farlain Lake is an important part of our municipality, and protecting homes, groundwater, septic systems, and the lake environment must be treated as a priority.

karenzulynik
Candidate
Sep 19, 2026

I have more info on the questions here: https://voteforkaren.ca/

to post an answer (candidates only).
© 2026 TINY Municipal Election · tiny2026.com · All questions moderated · FAQ