Back to Questions
GovernanceSeptember 14, 2026

Protecting Public Services and Municipal Jobs

Tiny Township and the County of Simcoe are home to many unionized public sector workers. As a representative of both jurisdictions, what specific measures will you take to protect municipal jobs from privatization and ensure that public services continue to be delivered by public employees rather than being contracted out to private companies? Furthermore, do you believe existing privatized services should be evaluated for potential reintegration into municipal operations? If elected, would you advocate for bringing contracted-out work back in-house when it can be shown to benefit residents, workers, and taxpayers?

Asked by Jim Small

Candidate Answers (2)

karenzulynik
Candidate
Sep 19, 2026

This is really an answer for the Mayor, but as a Deputy Mayor Candidate, I will answer as follows: As a proud retired union member, I have a firsthand appreciation for the value of strong union jobs, fair wages, workplace dignity, but I was a member of Unifor in the private sector just to be clear. When it comes to protecting public services and evaluating contracted-out work in Tiny Township and Simcoe County, my approach is grounded in rigorous financial oversight and taxpayer value: Strict Cost-Benefit Analysis on In-House vs. Contracting Out: I fully support evaluating existing contracted services to determine whether bringing them back in-house benefits both service delivery and the public purse. A prime example is our septic re-inspection program, currently contracted to Tatham. Deciding whether to bring services like this onto the municipal payroll requires a comprehensive, line-by-line review: weighing contractor markups and accountability against public employee wages, benefits, equipment, and long-term liabilities. If the numbers demonstrate that in-house delivery provides higher service quality and better value for taxpayers, I will strongly advocate for it. Ending the Reliance on Expensive Outside Consultants: Where public dollars are routinely wasted, a deep dive into the use of outside consultants is a must. Transparency and Engagement at the County Level: At the County of Simcoe level, procurement and shared services are complex. I believe in open governance, and I think the Mayors should not make hollow promises on services they have not yet audited in the county books. I think they should see a full inventory of contracted-out services across both jurisdictions so Council can review what can be repatriated. I welcome the opportunity to sit down face-to-face or host a discussion on this topic at a Town Hall. I want to hear directly from residents like you and which specific services you believe can be effectively brought back in-house for the benefit of our community.

Stephen McNamara
Candidate
Sep 19, 2026

Yes. As a retired Canadian auto worker and proud union memberin several other unions, I know the value of good public jobs. Municipal services should be delivered by public employees whenever possible — with accountability, fair wages, and reliable service for residents. I will oppose privatization that threatens local jobs or weakens public services. I will support full public review before contracting out, consultation with workers and unions, and regular evaluation of existing private contracts. If bringing work back in-house benefits residents, workers, and taxpayers, I will advocate for it. Public dollars should support strong public services and decent local jobs.

to post an answer (candidates only).
© 2026 TINY Municipal Election · tiny2026.com · All questions moderated · FAQ